Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I used to raise large parrots but know little about wild

Customer Question

I used to raise large parrots but know little about wild birds. My little rescued morning dove had a roiling motion in his crop area this morning. No avian vets around me close. Any ideas?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for rescuing that dove. I believe you're seeing the normal motility expected in his crop. An absence of motility would concern me for atonicity secondary to a sour and/or impacted crop. if he continues to eat and act well there's no reason to pursue veterinary care. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I found your new post. Please stay in this conversation. You can bookmark the page for easy return to it. The dove's behavior is that of a sick bird and once these birds appear ill, they're already quite ill. It's difficult for me to know, however, if you're seeing a dilated crop or, instead, a ruptured air sac. An avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) would be needed to thoroughly examine such a patient "up close and personal". In the great majority of cases, a ruptured air sac is left alone to heal on its own. A systemic antibiotic might be administered if infection is thought to be associated with the rupture - a common occurrence. Infections with both bacteria and fungi are seen in wild doves and it behooves the vet to distinguish one from the other. This is done by culturing the choana and will entail considerable expense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You! That makes sense. Back when I was in the bird world we only had vets who were taught about turkeys and chickens and would refuse to try to treat parrots. That was the most interesting time of my life. My two passions are birds and medicine ( my career ).

I was the first vet to start an avian practitioners association in a major metropolitan area back in 1977! I saw everything from ostriches to canaries and upon reflection we really didn't know much about either then! Let***@******.*** know that you opened a duplicate question so you won't be charged twice. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I love it. Good for you! My best friend who got me into birds was later part of a sting fish & wildlife did you might remember. I think the very young man's name also caught up in it was Tony Silva. I actually got caught up in the outer fringes by answering her business phone one day. They were offering to sell her smuggled eggs from Australia. Of course I told them absolutely NOT and they got me on tape. She has since died pretty much from bird keeper's lung and l have often wondered if she was guilty. The trial was down here in Corpus Christie. The judge pretty much said to let her go, but they sent her to 27 months in federal prison. I would go see her every Monday after leaving the hospital. Poor lady. She had shipped babies all over the country.

Oh my goodness. Quite a story. No, I'm not familiar with that sting. I did see parrot after parrot smuggled over the border from Mexico, however. Those were really sick birds - psitticosis + every gram negative bacteria you could imagine. I made up my own antibacterial cocktail - tetracycline PLUS chloramphenicol - for these birds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I introduced a new vet down here to isofluorine to sex birds. Man looking back I really was deep into it. I saw pics of a box of baby amazons and testified she would never put her breeders in danger like that. It was years later that I realized she had a perfectly good quarantine area for that. I was pretty naive I guess.

You meant well. Thankfully we've come a long way since then. There's even board certification for avian practitioners now.