Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a hen with a resp. infection. She is receiving anti

Customer Question

Hi
I have a young hen with a resp. infection. She is receiving anti b's by syringe. I was just wondering what to try to feed her with? Are you able to help at all please?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on this site. Please take a look at this site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html The "chicken lady" is a good and accurate resource for you. There are two important statements on that site. The first is that you don't need to alter Lacey's diet if she continues to eat what she usually eats. Honey water + mealworms + pellets is a terrific supplement, however. Consider hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread as well. Apple cider vinegar isn't of value in spite of what you might have heard or read. Note the liquid formula on the site designed for hand feeding chicks. It's just one of many that can make your job easier. The second is that you need to keep Lacey hydrated. An infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) is an easy to find product of value. The proper dose is whatever you can encourage Lacey to ingest without stressing her. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Salkin
Thank you for your response. Sadly little Lacy died during the night. I am so very sad having had her from an egg we incubated and she was only 4 months old.
Kind regards.

My condolences for your loss of Lacey. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.