Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a little bantam chicken who is a year old. Got her at

Customer Question

I have a little bantam chicken who is a year old. Got her at 2 months. Her poops are extremely watery with clumps of dark solid material amidst the clear liquid. BUT she acts perfectly normal and healthy. Also, she seldom lays. I get maybe 4 - 5 eggs a month! I have just assumed she was born with defective inner works and nothing can be done. I assumed this because she is healthy in all other respects and my other chickens (all two of them) don't have this problem. Is there any treatment that can help alleviate her problem? Thank you for your advice.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Her abnormal stools aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder but can commonly result from gastrointestinal parasitism and so I'd like you to worm all of your chickens with over the counter Wazine (piperazine) which will address roundworms and Corid (amprolium) which will address coccidia. You'll find these products in your local feed store. There are different forms of these products so pick the ones most convenient for you and your chickens. If her droppings normalize, you've made the diagnosis and should then treat on a schedule of every 3-6 months. If you didn't see a positive change, you'll need an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who will perform a thorough physical examination including diagnostics in the form of blood tests and cultures on ***** *****. This is because the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another.

I'm concerned that she's been such a poor egg-layer. This suggests a systemic disorder begging to be clarified. We mainly consider infections and nutritional etiologies (inadequate calcium, phosphorus, sodium, protein, or vitamin intake). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.