Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

As of yesterday the bird that i'm taking care of is all

Customer Question

As of yesterday the bird that i'm taking care of is all puffed up and has a yellow liquid around it's poop. It's eating and moving around the cage. What could be wrong?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bird is a 5 yr old (approx) parakeet.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Do you have permission to bring Doodles to an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org)? Once a parakeet acts ill - puffed up, a change in droppings - they're already quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because ill birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Doodles's symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder.

An avian-oriented vet will first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Doodles's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken.

Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Doodles's diet consisted of, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I waited a few hours for your reply and then took Doodles to a qualified vet.

I understand. I'm pleased to hear that doodles was well-attended to.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Doodles. How is everything going?