Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Should a vet in emergency provide antibiotics parakeet

Customer Question

should a vet in emergency provide antibiotics for a parakeet for fecal contamination from dirty public lodging?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site. Can you please clarify how and when Tinky was exposed to dirty public lodging and what symptoms Tinky was demonstrating? Because bacterial infections are commonly encountered in parakeets, presumptive antibiotic administration is also common but the history, physical examination, symptoms and diagnostics should dictate whether or not antibiotics should, indeed, be administered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bird was in the room(motel) for about 1.5 hrs and we both were together and we were both sick. He was shivering and shaking and so was I . I wanted to help him with antibiotics . We were not provided with clinical diagnostics but were suffering horrible symptoms. I had a piercing viral effect in my skull bone. Should'nt we get the antibiotic when suffering in pain.

I can't speak for your care but supportive care in the form of heating Tinky's environment to 85F and a fast acting antibiotic for Tinky would have been reasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I prefer the answer in writing.

You can use the print screen function on your keyboard or contact***@******.*** for help in that regard.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tinky. How is everything going?