Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

What does it mean when a chicken passes an yolk and without

Customer Question

What does it mean when a chicken passes an yolk and white without a shell?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now there are 2 scenarios that fit with what you have described. If you have seen yolk/white leaking form her vent like a discharge, then there is risk of a broken egg and shell left in the tract. Therefore, if that is what you saw, you can check her vent with a lubed gloved finger for this (as it may need to be delicately removed by you or her vet).

Otherwise, if you mean that you are seeing a shelless egg (membrane containing yolk/white), then we can see that for a range of reasons. For young birds, this can be related to an immature shell glands. Otherwise, we can see this as a feature of nutritional deficiencies (ie calcium, phosphorus, selenium, or Vitamins B12, E +D), husbandry (ie high temperatures), disease (ie IB, egg drop syndrome, Newcastle's, parasites, etc), stress (ie molting), and exposure to toxins.

So, depending on which you are seeing would raise the following concerns. Therefore, we'd want to check her if the egg is likely broken but review and address these other issues if you are seeing shelless eggs instea

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )