Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My favorite chicken was scalped by a raccoon. My vet won't

Customer Question

my favorite chicken was scalped by a raccoon. My vet won't look at it. I really want to try to save her. She is week and I am having a hard time getting any fluid in her. I have been trying to use a 50cc syringe but with limited success. Do you have any thoughts on treatment
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

​Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds exclusively for many years.​ Unfortunately, I have poor phone reception where I am and am limited to the internet.

Can you upload a photo so I can see the extent of the damage?

She can have 1 cc childrens' motrin (ibuprofen) twice a day for pain. The area should be cleaned with saline (check your drug store, certainly they have it at least in the eye section). See if the pharmacist will sell you silver sulfadiazine cream 1%, it is much better than bactin. That may help her feel better.

Raccoons often cause much worse damage than what is visible. Is her face and jaw injured? Can she swallow? Can she move her head and neck?

You can examine the bird thoroughly again, including opening the mouth and having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. You can take the temperature gently with a rectal thermometer. Anything above 105F/40C is significant. Palpate the tummy for an egg, fluid, lumps or anything else. Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility.

Move the bird indoors to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels or hay in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Keep her partially covered, warm and quiet.

The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean.

Do not try to force food or water. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food. If you want to try formula, any pet store will have Kaytee exact for baby birds. It goes through a syringe very easily and is nutritious. A smaller syringe will be much easier, such as 10cc.

Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly.

Do not try to force food or water. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It really isn't moving. IT has lost And eye
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I cannot tell from the photos, but is the skin comepletely gon or is it rumpled up around the edges?

It looks like some tooth marks may have penetrated the brain case.

I think humane euthanasia is the kindest choice for her. Check with local equine vets, they are equipped to go mobile and often work with poultry as well.