Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

We have a 23-year-old male cockatiel. He fell off s perch

Customer Question

We have a 23-year-old male cockatiel. He fell off his perch twice today and is now at the bottom of his cage, crown up, eyes not staying open....tried to limp around--probably damaged one leg.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI, this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Unfortunately, the life span of cockatiel's in captivity is usually only 20 years maximum. So,your little guy has lived a long time which is great. When birds go to the bottom of their cage,they usually do not recover. That is usually what they do when they are close to dying. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is to take him to a vet and have him put down or let nature take its course.I prefer euthanasia because then there is no suffering......

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles with your little guy, they become such a part of our families. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do even if it is in just providing emotional support. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B