Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chick of one month old has her wings down head down not

Customer Question

my chick of one month old has her wings down head down not eating or drinking water
please help joe
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies. It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of the bird's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one chick.

The above said, please take a look at this site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html which will give you general ideas for managing such a chick. Can you tell me, please if "wings down, head down" appears to represent a paralysis of those parts of the chick or, instead, overall weakness. If the chick is truly paralyzed you're likely to be seeing Marek's disease (herpesvirus) in the chick (please see here: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/#!mareks-disease/c1qzk) and most of these chicks are lost.