Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I can tell my umbrella cockatoo does not feel good, and she

Customer Question

I can tell my umbrella cockatoo does not feel good, and she threw up some clear liquid a couple 's since yesterday. What should I do
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site. It's important to note that once a cockatoo acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because ill birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Dolly's symptoms of "throwing up" and "not feeling good" are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Please review the information on this site: http://www.petplace.com/article/birds/general/when-your-bird-is-sick/vomiting-in-birds and then return to our conversation with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Until Dolly can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Dolly's diet consisted of, please?