Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our Love Bird has gone blind in but wasn't the other day. Is

Customer Question

Our Love Bird has gone blind in but wasn't the other day. Is there something I can feed hor to help her and maybe get some of her vision back?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian oriented vets on the site. Ideally such a vet (please see here: www.aav.org) should take a look at Lucky. I'm concerned that at her advanced age I'll find irreversible changes in the lenses of her eyes (cataracts), retinal hemorrhage/detachment secondary to hypertension, or perhaps central blindness caused by stroke in these birds. To answer you directly, no, supplements/diet aren't expected to be of value. I would make sure that an avian vitamin such as Oasis brand available in pet/feed stores was in her water at half the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful if only to ensure that her vitamin A requirement was being met. Vitamin A is important for her eyes.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.