Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My pet rooster had to have two toes on s left foot amputated

Customer Question

My pet rooster had to have two toes on his left foot amputated about two years ago. That foot keeps swelling and Red is in considerable pain. He keeps standing on his right foot. I soak his foot in Epsom salt water and apply cold compresses. It helps for a short while. I don't mind caring for him and he still has quality of life. I'm going to start taking him to visit schools and nursing homes. Is there anything I can give him to ease the pain?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin is acceptable as an antiinflammatory analgesic in chickens. You can take a 5 grain (325mg) tablet and dissolve it in 30 ml (1 ounce) of water and the dose it at 0.5 ml/kg (0.25 ml/lb) There are 5 ml in a measuring teaspoon. Alternatively, you can dissolve 1 5 grain tab in a pint of drinking water as long as he's the only bird drinking from that water.

Can you tell me why his toes were amputated and why his foot is swelling? Are there bumblefoot lesions on it which might require surgical intervention?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?