Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a six-year-old parakeet who is spitting up blood and

Customer Question

We have a six-year-old parakeet who is spitting up blood and is very tired.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. I must tell you, however, that it's likely that your parakeet is critically ill. "Spitting up blood" indicates serious and life-threatening disorders - a vitamin K deficiency as seen in birds eating too high of a percentage of seeds in their diet, and esophageal or proventricular (the real stomach) ulceration. I suspect that your parakeet is already quite anemic and so is acting so tired. Ideally, your bird needs to see an on-call avian-oriented vet because these disorders can't be managed at home. I would inject your bird with vitamin K and a broad spectrum antibiotic as soon as possible. If this isn't possible and until your bird can be attended to, please heat up its environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into its partially covered cage (not at night when it needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of its cage. Remove its perches and put its food and water on the bottom of the cage along with it. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to its water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make its water distasteful.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?