Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have three parakeets. 2 females,1 male. One of the females

Customer Question

I have three parakeets. 2 females,1 male. One of the females has lost her feathers around her bottom, and has droppings stuck to her. She also seems to be rounder there. She is eating and talking but also is puffed up and seems to stay in one place. Could she have a bound egg?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Tthank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Generally the roundness you are seeing is the problem and because of the roundness she is having trouble reaching and preening her bottom properly which is why she is leaving feces stuck to her. You are correct that 1 of the 3 possibilities of roundness in the belly is a bound egg, usually a bound egg results in straining too. The other possibilites are fluid accumulation or an enlarged organ. All of these problems need the vet to help. If it's a stuck egg it needs to be removed, if fluid it needs to be drained and diagnostics run to determine the source to get it stopped, and if an enlarged organ then treatment is needed depending on which organ is affected. In the meantime make sure she continues to eat and her living temperature is kept around 80F until she can see the vet for her treatment. I hope this helsps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan