Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

A canadian goose has been in my tiny pond all day, even

Customer Question

A canadian goose has been in my tiny pond all day, even though he-or she - has been harrassed by 2 or 3 dogs. The first 2 dogs (mine) just chased it into the water, but my daughter's dog actually followed it into the water but couldn't catch it. The goose never tried to fly away, just keeps jumping back into the water while flapping it's wings and getting a little bit of clearance. I have never seen a goose in my pond before- in fact I have never seen a solo goose. There used to be a flock of them nearby (maybe a mile or so as the crow flies), but they are no longer there. We live in a mostly rural area just outside Memphis. The goose looks ok, but should I contact our local nature center if it doesn't soon? I'm worried that it might be ill or have an injured wing.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Based on this goose's reaction to the dogs, I share you concern about whether it can fly. Therefore, if you do not see it move on in the next few days, then it'd be ideal to ring the local nature center regarding this lone goose. That way we can just make sure that it is not compromised. Or if it is, we can get it somewhere safe for rehabilitation.
Just in case your local center cannot aid you, I do want to leave some alternative rehabilitator databases for you:
*Wildlife International: http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html
*Wildlife Sanctuaries: http://www.greenpeople.org/sanctuary.htm
*Wildlife Rehabbers: http://wildliferehabber.com/rehabber-search
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )