Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My Cockatiel got a hold of my mother's thyroid pill (teeny -

Customer Question

My Cockatiel got a hold of my mother's thyroid pill (teeny - tiny, the size of a safflower seed). He grabbed it and flew off. By the time I chased him down, the pill was broken in two (it was a very soft pill). There is no doubt in my mind that he ingested some, even if it was a minute amount. I am beside myself with worry. I've had horrible experience with the after hours vet and don't even think they could do anything for him. They are great with our dog but for the birds, forget it. What do you think?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
What was the drug in the tablet (ie levothyroxine)?
What milligrams was it?
How is he just now?