Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My african grey is 31 yrs. old. Looks very healthy and is on

Customer Question

My african grey is 31 yrs. old. Looks very healthy and is on lafeber pellets. This year she has dropped all of her flight feathers and can't now get herself off the bottom of her cage. Seems as though her feet are weak as she cannot hold on to a peanut to shell it. Can you tell me is this is temporary. Thank you soooooo much. Carmen
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Carmen. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site. To answer you directly would be difficult because I don't know why she no longer can perch. In most cases, these birds are critically ill. Nutritional deficiencies are very common but her diet sounds to be excellent and so I'm concerned that she suffers from an infectious or metabolic disease at her age that has weakened her and until that disease is clarified and successfully treated, she may remain unable to perch.
Unfortunately, while her symptoms of an aberrant molt and not being able to perch are important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. It's important that such a bird see an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) at your earliest convenience. These vets can perform a thorough hands-on physical exam and diagnostics such as blood tests and X-rays. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. I can only encourage your having Babalu attended to promptly.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.