Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I just adopted a canary that was found on a neighbors deck.

Customer Question

I just adopted a canary that was found on a neighbors deck. It looks healthy and acts OK. When I come to the cage it will peep at me. Sort of like a baby bird, but doesn't do anything more than that. Is it a very young bird or does this mean it is a female. Thank you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Dr. Pat here. Thank you for requesting me.

The answer could be yes either way, or both.

How long have you had the bird, and how do you have the cage set up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a nice size cage 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 and more than 3 feet tall. It has a cup of seed, a millet branch and a cup of water on the lowest perch which is 1 foot up from bottom, it has a small cup on the floor of the cage with some diced hard boiled egg (which it has looked at but didn't eat). It likes the swing at the top of the cage best and sleeps there. She also has a cup with fresh fruit and veg. I have had it for almost 2 days. It doesn't seem frightened of me. Note: I grew up with canaries. My father raised them. They were very "IN" in the 40's and 50's. I have always loved them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

The bird may not quite be comfortable yet. I would not be too worried for about a week, or even longer.

If the bird was out in the environment for a while, it may have been exposed to pathogens or severely stressed. Either way, the immune system could be impacted and suppressed. The song is the first to go if a canary does not fell 100%, it will not sing. It would be worth a trip to a good bird vet for an exam and even some testing. It is hard to know what the little has been through.