Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chicken is very bloated. She pretty much is walking

Customer Question

My chicken is very bloated. She pretty much is walking standing up. I am almost positive there is no egg stuck I. There. She has a a lot of fluid and her comb is still Red I soaked her in warm water for 20 minutes and she really liked it. Her poop was stuck and now it's not. What else can I do for her. She had lost hair down there and is red. She is still eating and drinking. She tryes to nest a lot. Please help
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx
Please review the above link. You appear to be describing ascites - an accumulation of fluid within the abdominal cavity but that isn't entirely clear nor is it easy to confirm without a thorough physical exam of your chicken. Her wanting to nest, feather loss and redness about her vent, however, would suggest an inflammation of her oviduct +/- impaction with eggs.
After reviewing the link, please return to our conversation with additional information and further questions or concerns.