Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I noticed this morning most of my chickens have black large

Customer Question

I noticed this morning most of my chickens have black large pimple like spots on their combs and wattles.what is this? And how can I treat? We lost one last night, but I didn'tnotice any on her.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Does it look crusty or inflamed around the edges?
What signs did the other bird have? Any respiratory ones?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a photo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
That's grand and I will keep my eyes peeled. :)
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heat here in southwest texas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had 100 degree weather here.doing my best to keep chickens cool. I've given them water with ice cubes. Put fan on their run. If this is doing more harm than good I need to know.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am not overly suspicious that the heat is to blame, but seeing a photo will help me let me see if it is what I suspect it is. As well, can you tell me about the other bird's signs prior to death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my phone needs charging for a little while.im going out to take picture now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will await your return with a picture of this.
Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I can see you are having some issue with the website. So, I am posting a wee note to see if you can get back to me here.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pics of the black dots and the one we lost
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, your heat control measures are fine and not likely causing any harm.
Now unfortunately, based on your photos, this looks like fowl pox. And even if the other lass has no external signs, we cannot assume that this did not play a role in her passing. Now fowl pox is a viral infection that can cause either a dry pox disease syndrome (where we have these external lesions as we see with Claresa) but we can also see a wet form (where they have signs of these lesions in the airway/throat...which is why I asked about breathing issues with the other bird).
In this case, even though the others have likely been exposed, we want to isolate Claresa from the flock now. This is ideal to reduce the immune challenge to the others but also to reduce possible viral contamination of their shared area.
Otherwise, we need to start supportive care for her. As I am sure you can appreciate, supportive care is the mainstay of treating these birds since viruses don't tend to respond to standard medications. So, it is a case of immune support and preventing secondary infection. With that in mind, to start we’d want to treat the skin lesions with Betadine (diluted to the weak tea color) a few times daily to help dry them up. You can also treat these her with a vitamin support (ie Avipro Plus) +/- an antibiotic to prevent secondary bacterial infection taking advantage of her weakened immune system.
Further to this, we need to keep a close eye on her appetite and drinking. Any lapse in these and we'd need to start hand feeding +/- syringe feeding her as needed. This is because dehydration/starvation secondary to the pox that actually causes losses in birds with this disease.
Overall, these lesions are characteristic of fowl pox. Therefore, we'd want to isolate Claresa at this stage and start supportive care. We also need to monitor her but also the rest of the flock for any signs matching her dry form or any showing breathing issues due to congestion in the throat with wet form pox plaques. And if we do provide good supportive care, we'd expect to be able to nurse her through this over the next few weeks and help her overcome this virus.
Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at http://www.aav.org/search/, Avian web (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway (http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanbyou. Clarissa passed away last night.she had the vent that looked bad.the others have the spots. Can i get these meds from feed and grain store?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I had assumed that that was her vent, as the blue tint is characteristic of the deceased. Still, it is not pathognomonic for any particular disease and could have just been a change secondary to shock at the time of death or peri-mortem inflammation if she was being pecked in her moment of weakness. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** pox affected birds, you can get a vitamin supplement and a broad spectrum antibiotic from the feed store. And betadine or similar iodine based antiseptics should be available there or at your local pharmacy.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where you speaking of probiotics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are these antibiotics from the feed and grain called?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Probiotics are good too and the one I mentioned is a combination of both probiotics and vitamins. As well, in regards ***** ***** feed antibiotics, there are many available but you can consider checking for Tylosin or Terramycin for this lass.
All the best,
Dr B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to ask if this pox is dangerous to humans
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Pox is very species specific. Therefore, there is no risk of spread to people at all.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You will not be able to eat their eggs while you use the antibiotic. If there is no listing of an egg withdrawal time frame on the antibiotic you are using, then we'd need to discard the eggs while you treat and for at least 14 days afterwards. Otherwise, if you are trying to work out the dose by a "per gallon measure" then you need to use 3.6 grams per gallon. That would be closer to 1/3rd of a teaspoon per gallon

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )