Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My parakeet has 2 feathers in this right wing that are

Customer Question

My parakeet has 2 feathers in this right wing that are pushed out from the main wing and are at a funny angle. He shakes his wing some. He is moving around his cage & is eating. I took him to get his wings clipped yesterday and when I moved him from his cage to his carrier I think I damaged the feathers and caused the feathers to do this.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Good evening (if you are in N America) I apologize for the daly as I have just checked in.

Are the feathers broken at the base?

Could they just be out of position?

Any sign of bleeding on the lower surface of the wings, where the big feathers insert?

Can you upload a photo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't realize you answered. I do not see any blood. I also can't tell if broken. He does flutter the wing frequently. I have uploaded a picture. He is active and chirping. Maybe they are just out of position. He doesn't like me to get close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot, thank you for answering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is another view, hope you can magnify it.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

It looks like he may have a very severe wing trim and the feathers are not folding properly. If you can carefully catch him ( an old soft washcloth as a "taco" works best), gently expend the wing out and try to get the feathers in the correct position. It usually happens naturally when the wing expands. That may fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately with a bad wing trim and possible feather damage, the only real thing to do is to pull the affected feathers, and I would strongly urge that you have an experienced vet examine first and them remove them If needed.

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photos, it helped.

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Some info on wing trims here:

https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Actually those feathers were doing that before the trim, it seemed to happen when I caught him to take him for the trimming. I think I did it. I will take him to the bird vet I have used before. I won't do anything myself. I did enough to damage them already. I feel terrible about this.
Your response has been very helpful & thanks for the link
Charlotte
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Accidents happen when you have birds. And whoever did the trimming should have noticed and let you know, and put off the wing job for a short while.

It is best to let someone else be the bad guy, anyway.