Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have a very large, fairly old (not sure how old because he

Customer Question

I have a very large, fairly old (not sure how old because he was abandoned) beautiful Rhode Island Red rooster. He tangled with a fox last spring (2014), and my family and I managed to force feed him until he could lift his head on his own again. He has recovered remarkably, with some (it looks like) nerve damage. He has a swelled spur, that seems to cause him pain when he walks... he shakes his leg a lot. I don't like to think of him in pain, but I really don't know what to do about this... It takes 2-3 people to hold him if he wants to get away... Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, and sorry that no one else took you question about a remarkable bird.

Quick answer, yes he needs to see a vet.

Is it the covering of the spur or the base where it taches to the leg? Is it the skin and scales that are swollwn, or the actual bone?

He could have a bone infection, even related to the fox incident.

At very minimum, if he were my patient I would get some radiographs of his whole body, including both legs; really examine carefully the area of fox attack as well as the spurs. I would definitely start him on bone-effective antibiotics and pain control. Treatment beyond that would depend on what was found; it might even include spur removal or surgery.

BTW an effective pain control is butorphanol and diazepam, which also works great to calm him if he is not cooperative. Ask your vet about this.