Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

About 20 mins ago I caught my mums bird and trimmed its

Customer Question

Hi. About 20 mins ago I caught my mums bird and trimmed its claws. The catch was not traumatic; however she doesn't like being caught. She was trimmed and then back to the cage whilst I caught and trimmed another's claws. I have placed both the cages back where they are currently holidaying with me and the first bird is breathing really irrationally and she's making quiet speaking noises. Her body is heaving with each breath- she sounds like she is struggling to breath- very laboured. Am very worried
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a caged budgie btw
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need a response -It's been over 24 hours.Netty
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry, I have been traveling and out of internet contact. I am so sorry no one else took your question.

Is she still alive, and can I still help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She Is no longer alive
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry.

I know nothing will make you feel better, but budgies are prone to both obesity and to cardiovascular disease. She may have suffered from heart disease, and honestly even rushing her to a vet as an emergency may not have saved her life.

Is the other bird looking Ok at this point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other bird is fine. It's only 1 year old so much more robust. The dead one was 8.It was all very distressing for me to watch her struggle to breath. I hate to see anything living suffer, but I was so upset I could not despatch her.I was panicking to get an answer to try to help her. But it's sorted now.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for you loss and the slow response.