Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just came home and my african gray was bleeding on her wings

Customer Question

I just came home and my african gray was bleeding on her wings and around her eyes. .can I put petroleum jelly on it to protect the spot
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vet on the site. While I prefer not to put anything on birds that they're likely to ingest, petroleum jelly is nontoxic and can protect an injured area once you've cleaned away the blood to better assess the extend of the injury. Do you believe that there's enough damage for a vet to attend to - stitches, systemic antibiotic, etc? Can you upload a photo of the affected areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.