Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 4 year old budgie has a round swelling the size of a small

Customer Question

My 4 year old budgie has a round swelling under her skin the size of a small walnut mainly on the right side of her abdomen. It has grown where the feathers are separating. Is this a lipoma. Took her to the vet. Said she would have to do a needle biopsy to find out what this is. I, instead, took my bird home to be with her budgie friends.

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this swelling to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Xanthomas should be considered when the tumor is on the abdomen of a female budgie. Here's a synopsis of xanthoma for you: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tumors-xanthomas-in-birds/965