Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a chicken that stopped eating a week ago. No psychical

Customer Question

I have a chicken that stopped eating a week ago. No psychical signs of illness I dropper fed her for four days and nothing seems to work.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's three months old and was always smaller than the other chicks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. Unfortunately, such lengthy anorexia can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing.
It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of the bird's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.
Marek's disease - the great pretender - is underdiagnosed and should be considered at Rocky's age. Please review this synopsis of Marek's and take a good look at Rocky and let me know if any symptoms mentioned - other than her smaller stature - are present in Rocky: http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/mareks_disease.html