Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. 26 years of small animal emergency and general medicine, including pet birds, poultry, waterfowl, and birds of prey.
24704774

I have a male goose (drake) about 2-3 years old who is acting

Customer Question

I have a male goose (drake) about 2-3 years old who is acting sluggish and not eating much, kinda droopy. he had a bright green watery stool earlier but he is not his usual active self and I'm worried about him.. he is a Tufted Toulouse, I have two others that peppy and caring for a 1 month old baby. there are many blackbirds that hover around and mosquitoes what can I do
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
I'd like to ask you a few questions first to help me advise you better.
When did you notice this?
Where do the birds stay during the day and at night (housing)?
What is the diet?
Water source?
Whereabouts in the U.S. are you?
Is he stumbling about?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed some slight depression yesterday, about 5pm, they are free range within a fenced area, sleep where they prefer, patio, by barn, in chicken coup, feed is tri grain scratch, game bird layer, grass, weeds or whatever they prefer, sometime mostly in the winter, I supplement with 'people' greens or anything I can think of, cabbage, grains, lettuce. many containers for water- swimming pools, buckets, low dishes for the chick, for drinking and swimming, and an auto refill container strictly for drinking, cleaned and refilled daily or more. we live in No Central Florida. not stumbling as yet, but follows the others very slowly now, unlike prev. when he was right on top of things
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. First I would bring him into an enclosed, protected area in which you can easily monitor and treat him. Since we don't know anything more than he is not feeling well, a visit to the veterinarian is warranted. Infection can be detected and treated appropriately, as can trauma, if that were to be the case. Separating him from the others is important also for the chance that he has something contagious. If this bird succumbs to his illness, it may be wise to give the the local Health Dept a call and see if West Nile or Avian Flu is a concern for your region. They can advise you from there. Good nursing care involves making sure he is comfortable, clean, and not pestered by any other birds. Aspirin can be added to his drinking water at a rate of 5 regular (325mg) strength tablets per gallon. Change daily. Children's Polyvisol liquid vitamin drops can also be given directly (like on a soft piece of bread) at a rate of 10 drops daily. Botulism happens in waterfowl who consume contaminated water sources, but this is usually in a pond setting, where dead animals have decayed in the water, etc. Signs are weakness--often extreme and inability to hold up the neck. Penicillin is a treatment. There are various broad spectrum antibiotics you may purchase in a feed store and add to the drinking water. The problem with this is treating the unknown. Offer cooled, soft, moist foods like melon, moistened cereals, steamed vegetables to help get water into him if he appears not to be drinking very well. This will help keep/get him hydrated. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else. Kindly, Dr. Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?

Dr. Elaine