Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a lovebird that was given metacam foot injury.

Customer Question

I have a lovebird that was given metacam for a foot injury. I lost the bottle that it came in with the dosage. All I have now is the syringe feeder and the metacam in a small squeeze bottle. My bird weighs 41 grams. What is the dosage?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Now the only wee dilemma here with your not having the bottle is that not only do we not know the dose, but we also don't know the strength of the Metacam you have (since it comes in 0.5mg/ml and 1.5mg/ml and sometimes for smaller animals we will dilute it even further to administer). Therefore, to be safe with Silas, we need to assume you had the weaker version. That way we avoid the potential risk of overdose. And if you did, a 41g bird could have a maximum dose 0.04 ml once daily. So, you cans safely give that dose as needed until his vet is open to confirm what dose they specifically prescribed for your lad. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )