Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a juvenile turkey, pet, who has a broken bone in the

Customer Question

I have a juvenile turkey, pet, who has a broken bone in the right wing. It is at the equivalent of our upper arm. It is a big bone that poked through the skin. I put some bactroban on gauze then taped the gauze as best I could with surgical tape. To secure the wing I cut a leg out of pantyhose and and put multiple slits so it would not be too tight. What else can I do? If it doesn't heal well, I guess she will have to have it amputated.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. If the bone has come through the skin, this is very serious for your lass. This is called an open fracture and is the one fracture type that we consider an emergency in veterinary medicine. This is because not only do we have a break that needs to be set and healed; but this perforation as exposed the bone to our bacterial filled world. And because of that, these fractures are very high risk of infection both at the level of the bone but also can cause bacterial blood infections that can be fatal. In this case, I am glad that you stabilized it, but this is an emergency for her. We don't want to try to home treat this until she is severely ill with infection. Instead, we need to get your local vet involved at this point. They can xray and let you know if this bone can be aligned to heal. If it can, they can advise the best way to do so (casting vs. surgery). Or if they found the bone had been obliterated and repair wasn't possible, then amputation could be performed at this point and just reduce that infection focus and risk. Most importantly though, in all cases, she can be started on strong antibiotics to tackle the high risk of infection here. Overall, the open fracture is the one fracture type that is actually an emergency. This is because further to the break this is an avenue for serious infection which can be fatal despite the break not being. Therefore, we do not want to leave this to linger and instead need to get the local vet involved at this point to give her any chance at all. Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you athttp://www.aav.org/search/, Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).Please take care,Dr. B.