Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My parakeet has a large bludge that formed on his front near

Customer Question

My parakeet has a large bludge that formed on his front near the legs and now seems to have bled some lately, what could have caused it?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this bulge to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Si got photo and tried to send to email cannot send I need to go from my email to you can you give me one to use to send picture.
***@******.*** will send it along to me...it can take up to 24 hours, however...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send to you via email it had been on the bird several weeks so one more day should be ok
You're right. I'll watch for it.
I just received the photo. It reveals a massive tumor - most likely a xanthoma. Xanthomas are discrete masses or diffuse, thickened areas of skin that are yellow-orange and dimpled in appearance. They are accumulations of fat and cholesterol and are most commonly found in cockatiels and budgies. The wing tips, breast region and the area of the bird's ventral abdomen (often between the legs and around the vent as in Pretty Boy's case) are the most common sites of xanthomas. They are often locally invasive and destructive. This infiltrative tissue is weak or friable and can be easily damaged or ulcerated and bleed, especially as it proliferates and gets bigger. Birds will sometimes cause self-trauma by picking at them. The cause of xanthomas is currently unknown. Genetic predispositions, high fat or high cholesterol diets and trauma may be contributory to their formation. Practically speaking, there's nothing to be done. Recurrent bleeding is likely to require Pretty Boy to be euthanized. Please continue our conversation if you wish.