Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just had one of my three chickens die suddenly, and I have

Customer Question

I just had one of my three chickens die suddenly, and I have no idea what to do.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
My condolences for you loss. Are you interested in knowing why your chicken died? If so, you would need to refrigerate (not freeze) her and bring her to your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory to be necropsied. If you're asking what to do with her body, my chicken owners will burn it in a burn barrel, compost it, or wrap it well in garbage bags and dispose of it as you ordinarily dispose of your garbage. Your county likely will frown upon your putting her in with the rest of the trash and so it's best to wrap her body well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.