Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a 300 flock of laying hens. I am noticing that once

Customer Question

We have a 300 flock of laying hens. I am noticing that once every other day I have a dead chicken, there is no usual " quiet hanging around" for a day or so they just seem to die. Thy have been laying since the 1st of May and nothing has changed as to their housing or feed. These birds are floor raised and kept in an free range barn.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this. When such a number of birds are being lost and with such a large number in your flock, it's important to attempt to clarify the etiology of their deaths and this is done by taking a newly dead bird and refrigerate it (not freeze it) or sacrificing an obviously ill bird and bringing it to your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory for necropsy. In this manner you may be able to prophylactically treat the rest of your birds (by vaccination or antibiotics) in case an infectious agent can be identified. You can also consult with your county extension poultry personnel or an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) but you'll find that the county laboratory will be most cost effective. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Norma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?