Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

One of my chicken, a Lacewing Wyandotte, has been losing

Customer Question

Hi. One of my chicken, a Lacewing Wyandotte, has been losing her feathers and has not been able to grow them back in a healthy manner. It began after she molted in the spring. Her feathers did not grow back completely around her vent and her skin was red and raw looking. She is now loosing feathers on her legs, up her stomach and neck. New feathers try to grow in, but they are weak, thin and they fall out easily.
I first checked for mites, but she has nothing on her. I checked the coop for mites but again found nothing. Plus, my other chickens would have picked up the mites by now. Then, my second theory was that she or another chicken was pecking out her feathers, so I have been putting an a no-pick lotion. But she is still loosing her feathers.
Her comb is still a vibrant red, she is shy in the group of hens but she still eats and drinks.
I'd like to be able to figure out why she is loosing her feathers and why they are growing back really weak.
Thank you
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,I have not heard from an Expert yet. I will continue waiting to hear from one.Thank you
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am so sorry for the long wait, it's difficult to predict when an Expert with the expertise needed for your question might be logging on. We will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob. I apologize for your long wait. I've been offline with computer problems for the past several days. Would you still like someone to work with you to try to solve your hen's feather problem?