Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 year old cockatiel has a small growth next to the crack

Customer Question

My 10 year old cockatiel has a small growth next to the crack on the side of his beak. It was bead like about 3 weeks ago and has grown to about 1/4 inch and I think has stopped growing. Today on the opposite side of his beak a small bead like growth has started and looks the same as the other growth in the beginning. It does not seem to interfere in his eating or activity. it does not seem to be inside his mouth.
What should be done...if anything?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of his face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. My primary concern is the scaly leg and face mite. You can google "cockatiel face mite image" to see what advanced cases can look like.