Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Sassy lady is limping badly...she won't let mr get close to

Customer Question

Sassy lady is limping badly...she won't let mr get close to her....its very hot...she's close to food and water... in shade....we've only had our ladies for 4 weeks... read about raising free range chickens...but....?? No sign of blood or scratch....when i went out this am heard ruccus coming from coop and when i got there i always let them know im here cslm down and shuuuuuush...snd they do...sassy lady limped out... my heart raced and i said oh dear little lady what's up with the limp....she went out and limped under the lillies...i left het to calm down...went in coop...nellie is last one out...she walks like a German soldier...b
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
When did the limping start?
Does she drag the leg?
Are there perches in the coop that she could have jumped or fallen from?
Since examining this leg is important, I would suggest using a thick towel to gently pick her up. If you can, then can you tell me if she can move her foot (ie grab your finger)?
Any sores, wounds, swelling, bruises, or bony instability or crunching?
If you cannot handle her, can you video her movement/walk for me? You can post this on YouTube + paste the web link for me to follow.