Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. 26 years of small animal emergency and general medicine, including pet birds, poultry, waterfowl, and birds of prey.
24704774

My ducks foot got step on by a horse it was bleeding last night

Customer Question

My ducks foot got step on by a horse it was bleeding last night this morning it is swollen and it looks like a lot of blood is pooling can I give something for pain or an anabiotic
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
Aspirin can be used in the duck's drinking water for pain and inflammation control. Do not use any other pain medications (i.e. tylenol, ibuprofen). The dose is 5 regular-strength aspirin tablets (325mg each) per gallon drinking water. Change daily.
Penicillin can be given by injection, although if you do not have access to injectable antibiotics then treating the bird with oral meds like Baytril (30mg per kg body weight twice daily) is possible--must get from a veterinarian.
There are antibiotics meant for use in poultry available at feedstores--read all directions carefully. Doxycycline or tylosin would be possibilities.
Soaking the foot in warm empsom salt solution several times daily is as good an idea as giving antibiotics. This can help keep down bacteria in the area as well as help the blood supply to the foot. Crushing injuries are notorious for loss of blood supply and tissue death.
See the following link for info on foot injuries/infection in poultry--the bumblefoot info would be most pertinent to your situation.
DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Try to confine him to a smaller, clean area so he is easier to treat and to help keep him from constantly recontaminating the wound.
Hope this helps, and let me know if I may answer anything else.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine