Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Why has my female cockatiel lost most of her feathers and is

Customer Question

Why has my female cockatiel lost most of her feathers and is just lying on the bottom of the cage?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Any bird lying on the bottom of the cage is critically ill. I suspect that you've lost her by now and don't need to consult further. If not, it would be prudent to take her to an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) to see if there were any chance of bringing her back from the brink. Unfortunately, that's not likely with these birds. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.