Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 13-year-old duck who is limping, as well as getting

Customer Question

I have a 13-year-old duck who is limping, as well as getting very aggressive with my wife and I. We're considering having her put down. Any suggestions?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I, or another avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) would need to carefully examine Geoffrey's limb to be able to be more accurate for you. My initial concern would be bumblefoot - a painful inflammation/infection of the palmar ("bottom") surface of her foot but at her advanced age, osteoarthritis and malignancies associated with this limb and even within her abdominal cavity and impinging on the nerves innervating that limb need to be considered.
His aggression is likely directly related to her pain. The average lifespan for mallards is just 3 years but they can live to 20 when sheltered and well-cared for. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. Please continue our conversation if you wish.