Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Please help I just purchased a Quaker baby parrot and he

Customer Question

Please help I just purchased a Quaker baby parrot and he looks very sick I am afraid by tomorrow he is going to be dead I am so sad what can I do to make him feel better
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.If he is conscious, try dripping warm water on the edge of the beak. If he swallows ok, then alternate with warm sugar water. Is he pooping?Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/ Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.