Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My chicken has vent gleet, what do you recommend

Customer Question

My chicken has vent gleet, what do you recommend for treatment.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Poor wee lass!
This will quite irritating for her. If we have vent gleet, then we need to first bathe the area to remove any discharge present. You can use warm soapy water or a mild antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, or even salt water. This will need to be continued as needed since the discharge/fecal material on this skin is what is causing our edema and inflammation.
Otherwise, the ideal treatment approach is to examine or culture a discharge sample to pinpoint our agents. Otherwise, we may need to take a general broad spectrum approach by using Metronidazole for bacterial agents and Nystatin against fungi. Both are prescription, so a local vet would need to dispense these. Otherwise, as a short term treatment, some people do find the use of topical OTC treatments (ie Neosporin and Miconazole or Clotrimazole) effective for reducing the infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )