Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I rescued a pigeon from a shelter about a year ago. No problems

Customer Question

I rescued a pigeon from a shelter about a year ago. No problems since then. I built her a much larger cage recently and today she is acting odd. is more or less just sitting around, but will eat, runny poop. The substrate is granular, kitty litter consistency but I was told safe for birds. . How do I know if she needs a vet?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Whenever a bird is acting other than normal in anyway including fluffed up, sitting on the bottom of the cage, lethargic (sleeping too much or low energy), has watery stool, decreased eating, or not preening it means they are sick, very sick. In this case she fits the symptoms of lethargy and runny stool, the other symptoms I mentioned could still be coming. Unfortunately for all of us it does not specify any certain disease in fact it can be many diseases but it does signal she feels terrible. The bad thing about this is the same symptoms can be a minor intestinal infection or serious life threatening illness like egg binding, liver disease, or heart disease among other problems. The best thing you can do is keep your bird's environment warm (over 80F) and see your vet ASAP (yep now is the time to see the vet). If she stops eating then you need to go today/tonight on emergency. If you need help finding an avian vet use this website: http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 If you can't make it to the vet the only thing OTC that can have any benefit is Healx booster, the instructions are on the label. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=healx+booster
The best thing is the vet ASAP otherwise try the supplement. I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan