Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have two parakeets. One started having trouble going to

Customer Question

I have two parakeets. One started having trouble going to the bathroom and would get better and the worse. Last week the second parakeet started having trouble going. I took them to the vet last Saturday. The doctor examined the bird who was sick first and did not find anything like a egg bound. She prescribed Metronizadol twice daily. They have been getting the medicine, but the bird who got sick most recently seems to be getting worse. she is really straining to have bowel movements and hasn't eaten much today. She is sitting at the bottom of the cage and is hardly moving. is there anything I can do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your parakeets. Avian experts have determined that 90-95% of pet bird health problems are dietary in origin, so let's start there. What do your birds eat?