Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

We have 9 standard laying hens, and 7 bantam 4-H show

Customer Question

Hello. We have 9 standard laying hens, and 7 bantam 4-H show chickens. They have always been completely healthy, and now we have lost two standard hens in the space of a week. Two hens are broody, and l saw some mites on them, so we completely cleaned out the coop, disinfected and dusted for mites. We also dusted all of the birds with diatomaceous earth. I have only seen actual mites on the broody hens and they seem okay. The two that died developed bare bottoms, diarrhea and pale combs. They seemed to be eating and drinking normally, but felt a little underweight. I added some mealworms to their organic chicken feed and gave oats, as well. I am afraid we may lose more. The show birds seem fine. The only other information is it has been 100+ degrees for a couple of weeks. There are three other birds in the flock with bare bottoms and poop in their remaining fluff. They have some missing feathers around the combs, too. The birds free range during the day. They have access to plenty of fresh water and organic laying feed. They receive vegetable and fruit scraps daily.

Category: Bird Veterinary