Sean Brady
Sean Brady,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Housecalls
86545961

I have a 17 yr old white crested cockatoo. She seems to be

Customer Question

I have a 17 yr old white crested cockatoo. She seems to be having trouble pooping. She hikes her tail and announces she is about to, but nothing happens - not while I am watching anyway. She does seem to be pooping in her cage.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Sean Brady replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,I see that it has been 6 days since you posted about this issue. I hope that your pet is doing better by now. Hiking the tail and straining may indicate a gastrointestinal issue such as constipation, parasites, a local tumor, or inflammation. Another possibility for a female bird is that she is attempting to pass an egg (egg bound). If your bird is still having this issue I encourage you to take your pet to a veterinarian for further diagnostics. These might include xrays, blood work, and probing of the area. Treatment will depend on what is found on the examination. If she is egg bound treatment will depend on how sick the bird currently is. She may require supportive care such as fluids and pain medication. If the egg is near the vent it may be extracted. It is also possible that surgery may be required. Other GI issues may be treated with dewormers, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, fluids, or a change in diet. If the issue has resolved monitor your pet for recurrence of the issue.