Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My female parakeet has six eggs. The first three just

Customer Question

My female parakeet has laid six eggs. The first three just laid on the bottom of the cage. She paid no attend to them and I removed them when I cleaned the cage. Now, she has three, and possibly a fourth. She sits on them on the bottom of the cage all day. I haven't even seen her eat. She share a cage with another female parakeet. And, normally there are happy parakeet sounds coming from the cage all day. Now, all is very quiet. I haven't seen the egg layer leave her eggs even to eat. The other bird just sits on an upper perch. I'm worried about the egg layer and miss the happy bird "talking" that I'm used to. I'm afraid the bird sitting on her eggs is going to die, from lack of food, if nothing else. She has not been egg bound that I know of. I have cats, so my birds are not let out of their cage, or are they handled, but they've always seems happy and relaxed. I'm worried about both birds. Should I remove the eggs? Would their lives return to normal, or would it damage the egg layer to remove her eggs. I'm worried and don't know what to do.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a month ago she started filling her water dish with the pellets from the bottom of the cage. They expanded and they had no water to drink. I was refilling the cup every couple of hours. When I saw the first egg, I realized she was trying to build a nest. I changed the materials on the cage floor to someting that would not expand and take up all the water. About a week after this the egg laying started. AT one time a few days ago the two females where acting as if they were making. I've had these two birds for several year and I've never observed anuthing like that before. Excuse the typing errors. It's almost two AM, I'm tired and frustrated. I've been going in circles on this site for oer an hour. Meanwhile my bird could be dying.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your parakeet is "broody" which is normal behavior in egg layers. Because she has depleted her reserves, however, the eggs need to be removed and all possible nesting material removed as well. If she's been a primary seed eater, she's likely to now be calcium, protein, and vitamin D3, A, B12, and K deficient. Please add a water soluble vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Also add a calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet available in pet/feed stores. Offer hard boiled egg yolk, dairy products, the tops of fresh greens, and even tiny pieces of meat. Balanced pelleted diets such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/ and here; www.lafeber.com/pet-birds are recommended. Heat her environment to 80F by shining a 100W bulb into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.