Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My baby goose , 2-3wks old does walk any more. My daughter

Customer Question

My baby goose , 2-3wks old does walk any more. My daughter keeps her in her room and runs bath water for swimming & grooming. Is it lack of sunlight? What happened?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is part of the problem. She should be outdoors, preferably with other geese. She should be grazing. The most common problem in a young goose is nutritional problems. They should have grazing opportunity and should be fed a lot of leafy greens and specifically goose rations. Chicken feed is not appropriate. They develops very poor bone quality and it becomes painful to walk. This is a very serious condition and can be reversed ONLY with calcium injections and proper diet. And it will take months. You need to take the gosling to a bird experienced vet immediately, for the calcium injections and proper pain control. She should have an exam to make certain that nothing else is going on.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Where are you located? I may be able to provide a link to veterinarians in your area.