Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My african grey may have ingested lisinopril...what do I

Customer Question

my african grey may have ingested lisinopril...what do I do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Did he just chomp the bottle or did you see him eat a tablet? He should be ok, as most of the time they only destroy the container (I speak from experience, my own grey targets prescription containers). The use of lisinopril and side effects in parrots is not known, but you will need to watch for any changes in the droppings (increased urine/fluid, or an increase in the white urates) and potentially respiratory reaction. There is no antidote. It is unknown if kidneys, heart, or blood pressure will be affected, but one dose is unlikely to be severe--but again all is unknown. If there is ANY change in behavior attitude appetite or droppings, he should see a good, bird-experienced vet for possible ICU and testing.