Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My cockatiels upper beak has grown long it's touching her owner

Customer Question

My cockatiels upper beak has grown long it's touching her owner feathers .she loves to eat seeds but I noticed she's unable to eat them what can I do.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
You need to see a bird-experienced vet ASAP. To trim a beak this overgrown requires very special care and careful, experienced use of power tools. In addition, she may be in a weakened condition from starvation AND overgrown beaks are associated with severe illness.You may have to wait until Monday but basically this is an emergency and she needs to get in immediately. If there is an emergency clinic that knows what they are doing with birds, then she should go in.If you have to make it through tomorrow, then see if she will accept cream of wheat or baby parrot bird formula by syringe. Exact formula is available at almost any pet store.Do not attempt it yourself, as the beak can fracture or split or break off too short. It can bleed badly and be very painful.