Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

My cockatiel has had a recurrent eye infection off and on for

Customer Question

My cockatiel has had a recurrent eye infection off and on for the past year. It almost looks as if the feathers around his eye are ingrown or growing the wrong way towards his eyeball. We've taken him to the vet at a price tag of $300, he did a work up snd ended up prescribing eye drops. They didnt work. We held him down, clipped the crust and feathers from around his eye, and applied bactriacin ointment. He was better for quite awhile. Its back again, he's rubbing it and his eye feathers are all crusty. I dont know what to do... help!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your cockatiel. I'm at a real disadvantage in not being able to closely examine the eye and the surrounding feathers and skin, and even pictures wouldn't provide much help. The best I can offer is to suggest the use of a product available from many pet stores and online called "Vetericyn spray, or Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel". I don't usually recommend the use of over-the-counter medications, but this one is both safe and effective.Since we don't know if the underlying cause is aberrant (unusual) feather growth, an infection of some kind, dry eye, or some other condition, it's not possible to know if we're treating the root cause of the problem, so in spite of temporary improvement, the condition may not resolve permanently if the inciting cause isn't corrected. In any case, the Vetericyn would cause no harm, and very well could be quite helpful. If the veterinarian to whom you took your bird was not an avian specialist, you may want to consider consulting one, especially if the problem continues. You can locate those specialists in your vicinity by going online to www.aav.org/search, or googling "Avian veterinarians + the name of the nearest large city". These folks have spent extra years studying bird diseases and are very knowledgeable, especially in tough cases. There is some urgency to this condition, as continued trauma of the eye can result in permanent damage, both to the cornea and the surrounding tissues. If you should have any further questions, please let me know. I'm leaving on a road trip shortly, but I'll get back to you this afternoon should you need more assistance. Kind regards, *****