Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 10 year old girl budgie with a blocked nose and a

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old girl budgie with a blocked nose and a Infection in her right eye. What can I do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Jack needs the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who is likely to prescribe a prescription broad spectrum antibiotic in the form of an ophthalmic salve and oral drop with which you would place a drop directly into Jack's beak twice daily for a minimum of 10 days. Please avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in Jack's water. They don't work if only because an ill bird doesn't drink enough water to medicate herself properly.
Until Jack can be attended to, please heat her environment up to 80F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and place her food and water with her at the bottom of her cage. Because primary seed eaters are usually deficient in calcium and vitamins B12, A, D3, and K, it would be prudent to add an avian vitamin such as Oasis brand at half of the recommended dose on the label so as not to make her water distasteful. Calciboost and Calcivet are examples of calcium supplements you can add to her water and these can be found in pet/feed stores. Feed people food - hard-boiled egg yolk, dairy products, tiny pieces of meat, and the tops of fresh greens can be very helpful in balancing out these birds' diet.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.